Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Patroklos Leading the Myrmidons and Achilles Wrath Returns

Patroklos, at the sight of the Trojans battling amongst the Greek ships, begs me to be allowed to defend them. So instead of me reentering battle, I reluctantly accepted his wishes and gave him my armor and allowed him to pretend to be me and lead the Myrmidons into battle. I no longer feel the resentment I once did towards Agamemnon but I still will not fight until they reach my own ships and threaten me. I did instruct him however not to attack them on the plains, but only to defend the ships, I don’t want my ultimate glory to be stolen. Back at the ships Hektor is beginning the burning of them after driving Ajax away from defending his own. Led by Patroklos, the Myrmidons drive the Trojans back from the Greek ships and help put out the fire as intended. After Patroklos kills Sarpedon, he does what I explicitly asked him not to do and chase the Trojans out onto the plains. Ultimately Hektor kills Patroklos by the walls of the city, but in his final breath Patroklos predicts that he will die by my hands in the end. Following Patroklos death is a lengthy battle over his corpse and the armor he donned. Hektor stripped the corpse and suits up in my armor lent to Patroklos. Eventually Menelaos and Meriones were able to bring Patroklos back to camp though after holding off Hektor and Aineias.
I first learn of Patroklos death from Antilochos after the events had taken place. Thetis, my mother, hears my cry upon hearing the news and appears to me for consolation. After all she knew as well as I that this meant my return to the war has come upon us. My destiny is about to be carried out. I will die young at Troy and achieve everlasting kleos. Hephaistos forges new armor for me: a shield depicting the universe, heavens, Earth, and sea, as well as a marriage festival, a murder trial scene, a city under siege and battle around the city’s walls, agriculture, and a dancing floor, with the oceans around the edges. Hektor thinks he’s prepared for a duel with me, well he’s got another thing coming. My wrath has come back thousand fold for killing Patroklos, even despite his disobeying my instructions.

No comments:

Post a Comment