Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Achilles Return to Battle



Along with receiving my new armor from Hephaistos, I also received the aforementioned gifts from Agamemnon for returning to the war, albeit a little later than they would’ve liked. In the assembly of the Greeks I tell them how I’m sorry for having lingering issues with Agamemnon prevent me from helping the cause, and that my new source for vengeance is the Trojans for killing Patroklos instead of towards my own countrymen. Odysseus says we should feast before battle but I only want to avenge Patroklos death and return to battle, nothing else, not even a ceremony in which the gifts are presented to me including Briseis. Zeus sent Athena to fill me up with nectar and ambrosia since I was unwilling to eat or drink. Xanthos, my divine horse, brings up the prophecy that my fated death could be coming up soon by going to war. Perhaps knowing my ability to devastate the Trojans, Zeus tells the Gods to intervene wherever they see fit, especially to protect the Trojans against me. Is this not against his divine plan in which Troy is doomed to fall? However there’s more than just the war the divinities care about. As I was battling Aineias and about to kill him, Poseidon, who sides with the Greeks, still rescued Aineias since he was destined to carry on the Trojan lifeline after the eventual sack of Troy and found a new city. Apollo intervenes to tell Hektor to avoid me for the time being when we met on the battlefield temporarily. It wasn’t until I killed his brother Polydorus, that Hektor came out to challenge me. I almost killed Hektor until Apollo saves the day for the Trojans once more.
Many, many Trojans died by my blade though. This is my aristeia though and nothing will stop me besides an act of the Gods. I previously had promised to sacrifice twelve Trojans for them killing Patroklos, and I finally achieved that at this point. The next Trojan to perish was the unarmed Lykaon whom was dumped in the river Skamandros. The river God was displeased with me doing this and he sent his son to challenge me, and he’s also killed. Skamandros now was angrier than ever and meanwhile I’m continuing to kill more and more Trojans and throw them into the river. This brings about all sorts of conflict especially between the Gods. At one point I was actually in battle with the river myself. Hera has Hephaistos fight the river in my stead while Ares fights Athena. Athena wins their battle and follows up by defeating Aphrodite as well. Poseidon wants to fight with Apollo, however he wants no part in it. Eventually King Priam of Troy sees that they are losing the battle and has the city’s walls open so the army can hide inside upon Apollo’s distraction of me pretending to be a Trojan.

No comments:

Post a Comment