Thursday, December 11, 2014

About Me


I am Achilles, Son of Peleus and Thetis, leader of the Myrmidons, the greatest warrior of the Achaeans, favorite to Athena and Hera, and also it is said I am the handsomest and bravest of the Greeks (“Achilles”). I was born in Pharsalus (Thessaly), and was the last of seven children, but the only one still alive. There are many prophecies that dictate my life. Most notable is the prophecy that I will either live a long, happy, uneventful life, or achieve everlasting kleos but not be able to return home from the plains of Troy. Another prophecy foretold of Thetis offspring becoming more powerful than Zeus himself. So Zeus chose Peleus (a mortal) to marry Thetis (immortal), so that their offspring would also be mortal. This was done to protect his status as the authoritative figure of the Olympian Gods. As an infant, my mother held my heel and dipped me into the River Styx to become invulnerable, and was successful to an extent, with the exception of my heel which she used to hold onto me and therefore did not touch the water, leaving it vulnerable (Parada). When I became old enough I started hunting lions and boars, catching stags, was obsessed with weapons, and had a passion for music (Parada). As an adolescent I had two teachers to learn from. Chiron, the centaur who lived in Mount Pelion, was my teacher of the healing arts, while Phoenix helped me grow as a man and fighter, teaching me eloquence and the arts of war (“Achilles”). At age nine Kalchas, the seer, prophesied that Troy could not be taken without me, even though I was still just a youngster nowhere near my full potential. Then at age fifteen I became the leader of the Myrmidons (Parada). Even though my reputation is on the battlefield, off of it I am very affectionate towards my mother and close friends. If I have a weakness it is my sense of pride, which can make me vengeful. I stand up for what I believe in wholeheartedly and without remorse. The only beings that have control over me are the Gods (Parada).

No comments:

Post a Comment